I've severely neglected this blog. When I first started it, I had no job and plenty of time to update on a daily (and sometimes twice daily) basis. I am very sad to say that the time that I used to have is nowhere to be found! I am beyond busy on a daily basis and have a hard time finding time to eat, let alone sit and blog for fifteen minutes. Nevertheless, I've had requests for updates and complaints that it's been since December since I last updated. Lol. Geez, time flies.
It's really hard to re-cap almost 5 months! I've decided that I'm going to do my top-5 list of great things that have happened this year, at least that way you get the exciting bits without the boring stuff that happens from day to day (i.e. work updates etc.).
1. Family Trip in February!- Nick and I flew back to the states for a family trip in February and had a fantastic time! We got to see Nick's family in Houston and some good friends of ours there (Edith and Angel, Emy and David, Viktor, Caylon, Jamie, Rusty (who came down from DFW) et al. We also spent some quality time with my family in Amarillo/Plainview/Lubbock. It was so wonderful to see everyone and I am so amazed at how big my nieces, nephews, and little brother have become! They grow up so fast! We got to stay for about two weeks and had an absolutely wonderful time... it definitely went by too quickly and we are ready to go back again!
2. DEEPTREK!- Nick and I have both joined the Deeptrek team which is absolutely amazing. I think I've mentioned a little bit about it before (maybe?! I can't even remember what I've written previously!) Basically, we are a team of subsea specialists (and archeologists) that focus on underwater exploration/recovery and do a number of other amazing things. Previously, Deeptrek has worked on a number of really cool recoveries (like WWII planes and shipwrecks such as the Royal Charter and the Atocha) and we have several really interesting projects that we are currently working on. Nick and I spent a week and a half down in Wales working on a project with the group. Nick and I were supposed to be focusing on surveying (which is what we've done previously for a few other little projects) but because of the weather we didn't really get to do any of that. We spent a great bit of time meeting the locals, and getting all the boats ready, as well as cataloging some artifacts from previous projects. As soon as I'm able to give more updates I will, as it's really exciting stuff!
3. We have new tenants in Houston!- Our house was finally finished with all the repairs from the Hurricane (Ike) in the end of January and we had new tenants move in in February. We actually got to go meet them, which was great. They are a cute little family and seem like great people. We are certainly glad to have someone in the house as it was getting super expensive while it was empty. The total cost for the repairs was a whopping (drum roll please...!)$31,952.10, of which the insurance so far has paid $13,613.86. We're still waiting on the other 18 some odd grand to come in... once that happens I'll be a happy camper again :)
4. Track Days!- We've had some great times with our Subaru crew... as usual. We had a track day last month that was so much fun I can't even describe it. Ok, well maybe I can. There were ten or so of us that drove down to the track a day early to set up the cones and get everything laid out for the next day, and then camped that night. We had so much fun camping. We usually have a great time when we camp with our Scooby buddies, but this time was exceptional. We had great food, great banter, and we were really excited about the track day the next day. Sunday we had the actual track event and we had a wonderful time! We took my car, as Nick's wasn't ready yet (OH!!! I almost forgot, the last update I had said to look out for what Nick's Christmas present was... well, I bought him a 1998 Subaru Impreza STI Type R... it's his project car :)) as he's adding quite a bit on to it. We completely DESTROYED the tires on my car, but that's ok, they weren't really road legal anyway because of the tread. I get my new ones tomorrow so that's exciting. We had a fantastic time and are really looking forward to the next one.
5. My Parent's are Coming, My Parent's are Coming!!!- They are due to arrive in June and I get a whole week off work to spend with them (they are coming for two weeks). I canna wait! We are going to do quite a bit while they are here... from going to see castles, to going to Wales, to taking a trip to London, to seeing Loch Ness... etc. It's going to be quite a busy trip. There's so much that I want to show them and it's going to be a crazy trip trying to fit everything in! I am so stinking excited about it!
Ok.. that's my top five for now. I'm going to try to be better about updating. I might need to be nudged every now and then though ;)