Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday 6 November 2009

Gestational Diabetes

I thought I'd update you all on my recent trip to the maternity hospital for my second glucose screening.

I left the house (starving!) at 7:40 for my 8:35 appointment hoping that I had left myself enough time to get there (it's about a ten minute drive without traffic) and then started to worry a bit when I went all of a mile in half an hour. I did manage to get there on time, but only just. The ladies there were absolutely wonderful and the lady that took all my blood samples was a superstar. You can't even see any holes or anything so I don't look like a pregnant crackhead (like the other time I had my blood taken by the midwife in training... that was bad!). They offered to let me watch tv, which I refused because I had brought my new book with me. The whole test went rather well... they even let me have the lemon lime stuff instead of the horrible orange that everyone kept warning me about. It didn't exactly taste good by any means (think two packages of kool-aid with enough water to make half of one package) but it wasn't THAT bad. I will say I'm glad it wasn't the orange kind, but that's a personal preference, as I don't usually like orange flavored stuff. Anyway- the end of the test was the best part! They brought me decaf tea and two slices of toast! They said they didn't want me to get light headed or anything on my way home... how sweet is that?! I was very grateful, as by that time it was 11:30 and I was really really hungry.

They told me that they would call me if my scores were high again (meaning I had GD), otherwise I'd get a letter in the mail with my scores... so no news is good news.

Well, I got a phone call today... but I DON'T have Gestational Diabetes. They had forgotten about the Royal Mail strike/problems going on right now and didn't want me to worry about my scores so they thought they'd call as well as send my letter. My scores were absolutely perfect, exactly in the middle of the range they prefer. I'm so happy! Seeing the number on my phone scared me quite a bit, I assumed she'd be telling me I did have it after all and it wasn't just the orange juice... so I was pleasantly surprised when she said she had good news!

Hooray!

No comments: