Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday 9 June 2008

The Plan

Over the past week or so I've been a busy bee trying to get everything organized so that we can go get our visas and be done with the move here. It's been a long eight months and I'm ready to put it all behind us, that's for sure. I am dying to get to work, I can't tell you how frustrating it has been and how many pep talks I have given myself to be patient. Now that it is all within reach though, I find it even more difficult to contain myself. For those of you who know me really well, you know that I am a constant planner. I keep everything as up to date as I can and I like to know what is going on at all times. I have been driving myself crazy trying to get everything in order and figure out when everything was going to fall into place. I've become a little better (I'd like to think) about letting things happen and being more spontaneous (notice the UK spelling there, lol).

Anyway- We have finally set the date to go get our biometric scans done (fingerprints and facial scan) and submit our visa applications. We were planning on going to Washington D.C. or New York to do this (there are British Embassies that can give visas there), but we found out that we have to go to the British Embassy in Los Angeles for our visas, since that branch is the one that covers Texas. We are going to do everything while we are in California for MATE (the rov competition that Nic is judging).

Here's our tentative schedule (I've learned that any schedule that I make is tentative...something is always changing) for this month:
June 2- Stavros starts working for Fugro
June 3- Raisa's 8th birthday and Cris and Tony's 30th wedding anniversary.
June 9- Kristy's birthday and the day we finally get my name on the bank account.
June 12- Bob should return to Aberdeen
June 15- Father's Day
June 17- Nic goes to IMCA (in Norway) for work
June 20- We leave for California
June 21- We get our biometric scans done (Nic at 12, Me at 1)
June 23 & 24-We go to the Embassy in Los Angeles and submit all visa paperwork
June 25-29- MATE competition
June 29-30- We fly back home

Nic is working on our flight information today at work, hopefully that will be done soon and I'll know more about what's going on. We'll be staying at the La Jolla Marriott while we are in San Diego, I'm not sure where we'll be when we are in Los Angeles. It should be a fun trip, albeit busy.

Other than planning, I'm not doing a whole lot lately. I've been reading (Love Letters of Great Men and Women: From the Eighteenth Century to the Present Day) and playing Grand Theft Auto IV (I'm still not caught up to where Nic and Jonathan were, haha) pretty much. This weekend Stavros and Fiona came over and we had sour cream chicken enchiladas (they were o.k., I put in too much sour cream though so they weren't as good as Mom's) and watched Alvin and the Chipmunks. It was actually pretty cute. Sunday we were going to go out with some friends but the plans fell through and we postponed it until tonight (I think). Today we go to the bank again (I now have a bill in my name- I think this is the first time I was glad to see a council tax bill). Hopefully nothing else will go wrong and I can actually be added to the account.

I think that's about all the news I have. I hope everyone is having a good day (or will have a good day, seeing as most of you aren't even up yet!). I love you all!

2 comments:

The Educated Crown said...

San Diego was great when Felix and I went in January to see his brother. We went to Del Mar and Calabasas (they are all towns right by La Jolla) We are in love with California but it's just too expensive!

ElanorJoy said...

I love La Jolla! And you definitely need to send me your recipe for sour cream enchilads. I went with Kat the other day to ooh and aaah while she tried on wedding gowns. So exciting! I need to get your email address so I can send you pics. Since you like to plan things in advance :-) There's a very tentative plan to throw a bridal shower for Kat at our house in Austin pretty close to Christmas- the hope is that we can catch everyone (including you) who will be in Texas for the holidays. Love you!