Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday 25 April 2008

Bad BT... Bad.

One of the things on my to-do list for today was to call BT (the telephone company here) to let them know that we are moving so that they can switch over the phone and broadband to the new house when we move. I didn't think it would be a huge deal, but apparently it's not as easy as I thought (why, oh why would I think anything over here would be easy? I keep forgetting that things don't work the same here). Turns out, you are supposed to give them at least two weeks notice before you move. I was on the phone with this lady for about 42 minutes (and mind you this was my second time calling them today because I got the wrong department the first time and spent 27 minutes) discussing what was going to happen and giving our details. She doesn't know if we'll be able to keep our phone number there, she doesn't know what day they will be able to switch it over, she doesn't know how long it will take to get the broadband back up once we move, she doesn't know when they'll be able to disconnect it from this house. So what does she know? Not a lot. She said that her system was down (funny how their system is almost always down when I call) and that she'd get back to me within 48 hours. Blah. Hopefully it will be a quicker process than she let on, but I doubt it. I didn't want to call before all the paperwork for the house was done so I waited a little bit, I guess I should have just called anyway to get it started. OH and get this- all calls that you make to a BT customer service line you get charged for- so on top of her knowing nothing that I needed to know, I have to pay 4p a minute! (That's about 8 cents per minute). So basically I just wasted 2.47 (like 5 dollars). Oh well, nothing I can do about it now.

Other than being bummed about BT I'm in a pretty good mood. It is Friday after all... We don't have any official plans for the weekend, but that's pretty normal around here. We usually don't know what we are doing until the day of. There are some movies that we might go see, we didn't see any last weekend. Because we have the unlimited pass at Cineworld we tend to go every weekend and have a movie marathon one day. That has to be one of the best deals we've seen yet and I wish they had something like it in the states. We pay 12 pounds a month (24 dollars) and get to see as many movies as we want. The price for an adult movie ticket here is 7.40 so if you see two movies in a month you've already saved yourself. We usually see about three movies per weekend, so we figure it's a pretty good deal. We end up seeing more when Bob (Nic's ex boss from Oceaneering- who now works at Subsea 7) is in town. He's our movie buddy. We are ready for him to be back in town again, we miss having him around. I rather like having someone around who loves to play games as much as I do (plus he brings me maltteasers and says I'm pretty... what girl wouldn't like having him around haha...). Nic likes to have him around because they both know their business inside and out and are able to talk shop and bounce ideas off each other. It's a great relationship for all of us.

There are several movies that we haven't seen yet at the theater (Deception, Flashbacks of a Fool, Fool's Gold, Forgetting Sara Marshall, In Bruges, Son of Rambow, Street Kings, Three and Out, Spiderwick Chronicles...). Have any of you seen any of those? Would you recommend them if you did? I don't really want to see 9 movies this weekend, that's a bit much. The ones that I really want to see are Deception, Flashbacks of a Fool, and Forgetting Sara Marshall. They look good to me, but we'll see what Nic wants. Usually we have to compromise a little and alternate who gets to pick the movies.

We also plan to get some packing done this weekend (I'll probably be the one doing it while Nic watches the scrapheap challenge marathon). I really do want to get to the park again this weekend and walk around the part that we didn't see last time. We'll probably do that tomorrow or Sunday morning. We are also planning on stopping by Allan and Anja's houseto drop off her junk mail and the book we borrowed from them (a book about the attractions here in Scotland). Bob bought us one of our own that is from this year, so we don't need the other one anymore. We need to go over there to visit a little too since we weren't very sociable last weekend. I also need to call Andrea and Andy ( just realised that they all start with A.. that's kinda weird) and give them an update on what's going on. Maybe we'll get to hang out more when we live closer. That would be good. I think we are still supposed to play tennis with Stavros and Fiona but I haven't heard anything about it. I'll have to ask Nic when he gets home.

No comments: